Queniborough Conservation area
Queniborough has a long history as a settlement.
Over the years many Saxon items, broken tools and jewellery have been unearthed by local farmers. The village name has changed its spelling many times from 'cuinburg', in the Domesday Book, to Queeniborough and finally to Queniborough.
The main street in Queniborough retains the appearance of a country village and has many fine buildings. St Mary's church is a fine gothic structure with a 13th C. tower and a 162ft spire, containing 6 bells, 4 of which date back to 1619. The church also has a beautiful locally carved wooden screen and a pulpit made from old oak church pews.
The white thatched cottage in the centre of the village is one of the oldest, dating back to the 15th C. It's uses over the years have included a public inn, a blacksmith's, a cycle repair shop and in the early part of the 20th C. it boasted its own petrol pump. Today it is a family home.
Today the village has two public houses: The Britannia Inn and The Horse and Groom. At one time in the past the village boasted a minimum of seven drinking places. Approximately 100 years ago a tame bear was kept in the garden of the Britannia Inn. Her name was Fanny and she regularly escaped and went walking around the village.
Further information can be obtained from the Clerk